“A Mood Board is a summary of your collection’s inspiration and theme. It’s a design tool that will help you remain focused and consistent as your line develops. It’s also a great communication aid when explaining your vision to others (retailers, media etc.). Magazine tears, fabric swatches, old photos, buttons, ribbons; basically any visual reference you desire are mounted onto a hard board. Be sure to give your story board a title, like a book or film”.
1. Research: Go to galleries, exhibition, watcht music videos, the latest fashion show, street fashion, specialty magazines from different part of the world (fashion, architecture, design…), go to boutiques.
2. Take pictures of objects, scene and store front. Create a “mise en scene” related to your theme.
3. Write down a few thematic keywords you want to have in your design.
4. Combine two theme to create something new. Example: Punk and Aristocrat, Urban and Cosmic…
5. The presentation must be strongly themed, capturing the mood in a nut shell and should always be accompanied by a title. This can be determined by the fabrics: Natural Linens, the season: Summer Blues, or the merchandise: Metamorphosis…
6. Cut out pictures that inspired you. Use anything you can find from magazines, your pc or mac, tissue paper, feathers, foil, string, fabric etc., books (not just fashion), your own photographs and collect fabric and paint swatches. But DONT go overboard, this can look messy.
7. Use a large sized board ( example 24”x18”) to lay out your images, your color swatches, fabrics and buttons…. This allow you to show a complete idea.
8. Extract from the large board the essence of your theme. At this point I useally use photoshop + scanning and a smaller board.
9. Take a step back and critically look at what you’ve created to see if it matches your keywords and theme you defined earlier.
10. Show your mood board to 2 other people (from different social circles (two friend might give the same answers, but a friend and a peer might come up with totally different critiques).
If you like to add more tips, please enter them bellow in our “Comments box”.